Innovative Applications and Facts About Shipping Containers in 2020
The world is changing with eco challenges putting pressure on the industry to become more energy-efficient. Finding sustainable solutions that won’t contribute to greenhouse gases has led to the desire to reduce carbon footprints. As major players in the shipping container business, we are keenly aware of how shipping containers can be adapted for many uses. As a result, we have expanded our shipping container products and services to help find new ways to provide eco-friendly solutions to reduce waste and contribute greatly to eco challenges, such as reduced greenspace, construction related pollution and finding new ways to help house people and businesses around the world.
Sturdy Steel Construction
Shipping containers offer a unique opportunity to help save the planet. Because they are made of 16-gauge Corten steel, they are highly durable and of sturdy construction. Their rectangular shape and size make them suitable for several uses, including providing a new way to construct buildings using a modular architectural design.
Shipping Container Architectural Trends
Modern design in architecture looks at futuristic uses of new materials with a focus on creating unique structures that are simple, functional and eco-friendly. The green building is growing in popularity, with builders from homes to high-rises embracing green materials and energy-efficient models to suit the needs of changing views of what is required for comfortable living and workspace.
Shipping container architectural trends are changing not only the skylines of cities and suburban neighbourhoods, but also the way companies and homeowners can find an economical and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional construction. There is an endless list of possibilities for using shipping containers in people-friendly structures including:
- Schools: Containers are ideally shaped and sized for classrooms, making them a noteworthy trend for affordable educational buildings throughout the world.
- Offices: Reprocessed shipping containers can be architecturally modified to solve a number of space-related woes, using them as convenient and expansive office buildings.
- Restaurants: Using reprocessed intermodal containers creates a base for restaurants looking for an affordable, green and trendy space.
- Hotels: Eco-conscious travellers seek out unique, green lodging, and shipping containers are the newest in hotel design.
- Emergency Hospitals: When a crisis occurs on a large scale that impacts health, altering shipping containers into movable hospitals changes the idea of contemporary engineering for fast installation where emergency medical services are required.
- Disaster Shelters: As with mobile hospitals, when disasters occur, remodified cargo shipping containers can serve as a temporary home or shelter for the displaced.
- Swimming Pools: Their preconstructed rectangular design makes cargo containers ideal for affordable pool facilities with perfect length and depth.
- Campers: The trend for glamping allows those who are used to luxurious accommodations to still enjoy the camping experience. Getting close to nature in more comfortable sleeping quarters is easy, with solid structures provided by cargo containers.
- Theatres and Bistros: Reprocessing containers into open theatres and bistros can provide a better recreational atmosphere in parks using a budget-friendly building option that can be adapted to suit city needs.
- Workshops: The desire for work-related privacy has resulted in a trend of using intermodal shipping containers as alternative workplaces where space is limited, and privacy is a must.
- Portable Ablution Facilities: Public gatherings with large numbers of attendees can use movable toilets to help maintain sanitary and hygienic surroundings.
- Shopping Malls and Commercial Establishments: Adoption of shipping containers as high-rising commercial attractions is proving lucrative for retailers and other enterprises.
- Studios: Studio workshops customized to reflect a truly unique experience can be created to meet the needs of the artisan.
- Art Galleries: Reprocessing cargo containers into brilliant art galleries are a growing trend in many places as they are affordable, portable and easy to set up for special collections and travelling shows.
- Saunas: A common shipping container can easily be repurposed as a luxurious sauna box or spa.
- Discotheques and the Nightlife: The modern appeal of these modular containers makes them highly adaptable as clever night hot spots from discos to pubs.
- Student Housing Facilities: On campuses where space is lacking, reprocessed shipping containers facilitate housing in short order while taking up a small footprint.
- Laboratories: Laboratories made from shipping containers can be set up quickly to provide much-needed workspace for academic usage, research and medical testing.
- Indoor Gardens: Converting reprocessed cargo containers into farms and nurseries is another innovative trend becoming popular with the urban farming crowd as well as those in rural locations.
- Garages: Reprocessed cargo containers provide an ingenious garage or car park, a popular choice in different parts of the world.
- Sports Centers: Cost efficiency needs have led to cargo container conversions into well-equipped sports centers.
- Fire Training Facilities: Fire training facilities made of shipping containers are fireproof, allowing them to be used for fire simulations multiple times.
- Military Applications: Modified shipping containers have a wide range of uses for military and defence applications from barracks to combat training and hospitals to mess halls.
Home Sweet Home
Cargo containers are also being used to build spacious and luxurious homes for the tiny house enthusiast. They are also excellent for those who want new housing options other than the cookie cutter homes of the suburbs. People can buy land and build their homes using cargo containers as an affordable base. Living in storage containers is easy as they can be insulated and used as a single room, a design feature within a modern home, in a collection of container rooms or as a solitary tiny home structure.
Homeowners can consider their needs to discover ways they can use shipping containers. The structure can easily be adapted with upgrades from insulation to windows and doors. There are a number of container dimensions available that can be set on a foundation ready for your home installation. A builder can set your foundation, which should be inspected before your container is placed. You can look at the exterior design and add architectural details, including a customized door, windows, and sliding glass doors leading to your outdoor space. The second floor or rooftop decks and patios can also be added. Your walls are installed to suit your layout, or you can opt for an open concept. You can also connect containers to create separate spaces for your home. Your home must be up to code for all electrical and plumbing as well as heating before you move in.
The benefits of using shipping containers for your custom projects include:
- Big and strong
If you would like more information on the opportunities of container repurposing, speak to the team at Secure Containers.